Saturday, February 11, 2012

Saturday morning session No 2

Well hit the water at 10 am this morning, we were looking at a 30 km to 40 km once we headed out more into the Harbour. Sandy Winterton was in his Q-Kayaks Maximus (with understern rudder) and I was on the Think Evo II, our journey was as follows.Greta Point downwind in the Southerly out of Evans Bay, then head around the corner back into the Southerly past the Seatoun Bays to Steeple Rock, (incidentally near where the Wahine Sank). We made it to Seatoun Wharf in 50 mins then another 5 mins to get to Steeple Rock.

Great downwind again and a good stretch of swells, a few optimist yachts and the Interislander to avoid, down to to Point Halswell again................... o.k. time to crack into it again, a final 4 km upwind leg dpwn and across Evans Bay to finish back at Hataitai Beach, stop the clock 1 hour 50 minutes............whoops I was supposed to be doing a 60 to 90 minute paddle..................well time flies when you're having fun and are in good company.


Sandy is starting to put in a km's to prepare for Trans Taupo in March, to find out more about this race, now it's it's 5th Year, check out the link below  http://www.facebook.com/TransTaupoPaddleRace

I'm just turning blades over getting back into shape and may look at heading back down to the Marlborough Sounds in May and do the long running Portage Race which is run by the Marlborough Multisports Club
 http://marlboroughmultisport.wordpress.com/

In one of the previous posts I mentioned about the Mocke Buoyancy vest I have, here are a couple of photos, I love the one I have, coincidently Sandy was using his today, that I had sold to him a couple of years ago (second hand).
The above picture is of the North Water Outrigger/surf ski leg that I had sent over from Canada. Thanks to Bob Putnam for sending it over to me, Bob owns Deep Cove Outdoors in North Vancouver, they have a retail store in the small township and a Kayak hire centre down by the water, Sharlene and I visited them in 2010 I had a field day in the shop and also hired a Think Surf ski and I paddled up the Indian Arm waterway, B.C. a must see highly recommended.
Daryl Remmler (Think Kayaks) also lives not far down the road from Deep Cove Outdoors.

Click on the photos to see enlarged version

No comments:

Post a Comment