Tuesday, September 3, 2013

4 days of water time

It's not quite summer yet but my body needed 4 days out on the water to sharpen up a bit. I'm heading down to Dunners in less then two weeks to represent the Think Kayak Brand in the South Island, and paddle the last event of the Otago Canoe and Kayak Club winter series. I saw an article on Sportzhub last year and I thought that looks like a bit of me. The event is 21km on Otago Harbour, it
starts from Pilot Bay (Portobello) and finishes at Vauxhaul. The event has kayaks, surf skis and SUP's (10kms) and probably waka ama if the locals are keen on paddling them in the winter.

I choose this event to time in with the arrival of this years container of Thinks skis.........by chance I also sold my Think Evo II to a guy
in Dunedin who I met 17 years ago at an event in Twizel, so it will be good to catch up him and see how the Dunedin paddling scene is going.

Saturday was a day on the Think Evo II, Sunday out on the Fanatic SUP's with Sharlene, Monday on the Think Ion and today Think Evo II................if you have all this water sports gear you have to get them all wet on a
regular basis!

I know there are a number of my sit down paddling mates out there that just don't get SUP........to me I embrace it because it's something Sharlene and myself can easily do together...... and also SUP is great for cross training as surf ski is for waka ama.........and waka ama is for kayaking.

There's a number of forms of SUP out there touring, SUP surfing, BOP events, SUP Yoga, Ocean Racing SUP, Downwind SUP and whitewater SUP check some of the SUP crowd out at the Winter Series event this Sunday.........you may find they are out numbering other paddling categories at the moment.

click on any photo to enlarge


No comments:

Post a Comment