Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Thanks to the leg leash............

........my ski didn't get blown into wharf piles........which would have lead to a damned good scratching.
Yep had a spill of the Think Evo II yesterday doing the usual thing on the surf ski shimmying around wharves boats and buoys and got a little close to a pile with my paddle blade..........and before you know it I was in the briney............whoops.

No worries the swim was great and the nice warm gear I have kept me nice and toasty, so much so that I
was even enjoying a swim. The interesting thing with the leg leash was that where I fell out it was perilously close to the piles.....and this is where the leg leash came into it's own..........connected to the ski a couple of quick swimming strokes and the leash pulled the ski clear of the knarly shell coated piles.

The main reason we wear leashes is on windy days if you happen to fall off your ski, it can blow away so quickly that not even an Olympic swimmer
like Steven Ferguson, will catch up with it. If you're also unlucky, next time the ski stops it may be against a rocky shoreline, reef, seawall or wharf.............oouch!

The extra buoyancy and warmth that a PFD gives you in the winter is another bonus and you won't see me without one even in the summer. One thing I don't buy into is that PFD's are too hot for racing or too hot to wear in the summer.......hello just roll off your damned ski and cool off and practice your remounts every now again.
Experienced paddlers do drown when they are not properly equipped!

Thank you to Think Kayaks for the branded gear..........surf ski, PFD and leg leash.

Not long now till my Vaikobi gear arrives. I've ordered the V cold pants and the V cold short sleeve top + removable sleeves. View the Vaikobi range here http://www.vaikobi.com/

I buy all my Think Kayaks and Vaikobi gear from Fergs Kayaks.

click on any image to enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment