click on any photo to enlarge
*** PLEASE NOTE : THE EVENT HAS BEEN PUSHED FORWARD TO SUNDAY APRIL 11. ***
The Motorway Classic has always been a staple of Wellington Paddlers diets for 30 years now, it's a great local event and it's one that we should all encourage out mates and clubmates to participate in at least once in their life time.
Being the 30th Anniversary Event we've injected some extra financial resources into the event and we are also fortunate enough to have a couple of Angel investors come on board with us for the 2021 event.
2019 W6 start
As with all our events we have an event link so everything you need to know is here - https://www.facebook.com/events/248597176519155
Originally the Motorway Classic was a 13 km event however we added the 6 km & 3 km options in 2012 to allow a stepping stone for new paddlers to be part of the Event.
To run an Event of this scale we have an entry close off date which is 2 days prior. We post detail on our Welly Paddlers Facebook where we show you how the weather is tracking.
We have a number of means of communicating with us.
email - email@example.com
Message the Welly Paddlers Facebook page....or make a comment on any of the pre event posts.
Ph Chester 022 6455 820
Sunday April 11, 2021
Registration from 8.30 am
Event briefing at 9.40 am
10.00 am Recreational 13 km
10.15 am All W6's and surf canoes 13 km
10.17 am All Kayaks surf skis and W1's and doubles 13 km
10.20 am short courses (3 km & 6 km)
All paddlers must wear a PFD, all kayaks must use spray skirts, all ocean racing surf skis must wear a leg leash, all waka ama must carry a bailer (unless a sit on top ocean waka)
long course :
$50 surf canoes
If you have an existing "Welly Paddlers" event number on your craft from one of our previous Welly Paddlers events...... please let us know this event number when you enter......some people have a few craft......and each craft has it's own number.
Type of craft.................. i.e W1, W6, surf ski, multisport, SUP, prone, surf canoe
Distance....................... 13 km open, 13 km recreational start, 6 km or 3 km
date of birth / or average age if a crew..............................
PLEASE USE THE WELLY PADDLERS FACEBOOK PAGE TO FOLLOW THE UPDATES.
2019 short course start
Run of play for the day.
1. 1. There will be just over 180 paddlers plus supporters at the Event on Sunday
2. 2. This will involve turning up super early to unload craft and set up craft in the designated staging / craft parking areas
3. 3. Please use the Public Toilets as shown in the photos
4. 4. Please note that to the left of the Boat ramp is a designated water ski lane as per the Regional Council bylaws. While the Harbour Master has our Event booked in, we need to keep a careful eye on the General Public. So please keep the large waka clear of this area and use the beach between the green Rowing club Building and the Boatramp
5. 5. A second launching place for the large waka will need to be used close to the green Rowing Club building where Kokiri Waka Ama were previously based
6. 6. Parking : There is plenty of parking well prior to the Wellington Water ski Club the main car parking area is going to be a log jam and please give space for large waka trailers to load and unload
7. 7. Everyone will need to be weary and thoughtful of others in regards to parking and also out on the water
8. 8. Please have everyone read and understand the Welly Paddlers Event rules this detail is also lodged with the Harbour Masters Office
9. .9. Please have all paddlers especially Team Captains read the pre event posts
1010. We’ll be onsite from 7.30 am on the day……and will likely have registration set up way before 8.30 am
1111. Unload your craft and have you gear set up early….then you all have the time and space to catch up with mates. Help each other out on land and on the water.
1212. Lots of people requires plenty of co-ordination. Everyone working together to the times frames given and the Event will run smoothly.
1313 Rhys is our guy in the Motor boat give him a shout out especially at the top turn
1414. We will naturally have plenty of leaders on surf skis and waka out on the course not only racing but also helping each other out with communication and guidance
1515. Channel 77 is the Recreational Marine channel that we will be using and a number of paddlers will be monitoring this own their personal radios
1616. The start calls are made over the loud hailer at : 2 minutes, 1 minute, 30 seconds 10 seconds…….then 3, 2 1…….GO on the loud air horn
1717. Once you’re off the water load your gear up get changed and help others out.
1818 Once the last craft is off the water….we will be kicking off the Spot Prize giving 15 minutes after this time
1919 After the prize giving the Event Organisers are going to remain at the Venue to catch up with everyone properly
2020. THE EVENT BRIEFING WILL BE SHORT AND WILL BE RELATIVE TO POTENTIALHAZARDS ON AND AROUND THE WATERWAY - all the pre Event detail on THE WELLYPADDLERS FACEBOOK PAGE and THE WELLY PADDLERS WEBSITE provides all the EVENT detail, the courses and everyone’s obligations
2121. For the Event to run smoothly from both sides just remember these 4 key points - co-ordination - communication – listening -“merge like a zip”
2222. There will be approx. 3 x Event still cameras in action and around 2 – 3 people running video set ups
2323 Thank you in Advance from the Welly Paddlers Team of from Chester, Sharlene, Michelle, Laurelle & Rhys and all the Club Managers, Co-ordinators and Transportation Teams
2424. Run times
Registration – 8.00 – 9.40 am
Event Safety Briefing 9.45 am
10.00 am 13 km All Recreational craft start
10.15 am 13 km Open W6 & W 12 Open start
10.17 am 13 km singles start
10.20 am 3km & 6 km all craft start
Spot prize giving 12.30 pm