Friday, January 3, 2014

Summer Holiday paddling

Four days of strong Northerly winds forecast for Wellington....... we made a timely escape just over an hour up the Coast where the winds aren't being funneled to higher speeds.

I'm down to one surf ski again thanks to Kevin from Christchurch picking up the Think Ion on the way back home to Christchurch, so it's now "Hobsons choice" when it comes to my paddling and I'm more than happy to just paddle the Think Evo II Ultimate on flat water and on the rougher days.

I had a nice spin on the Manawatu Estuary/River this morning starting out at Foxton Beach by the Manawatu Boating Club, the last time I was here I knocked out an 1 hour 36min over 18km on the Think Evo II Elite at the Foxton Loop Race all due to a small bunch of four of us pushing each other along.

Today's wee journey too me out to the river mouth where I was greeted by the determined Northerly wind gusts then had a great spin back upriver on the incoming high tide also assisted by the wind behind me to the Foxton River Loop, then back into the tide (and wind) again to finish back at the boating club around 75 minutes later.

Photos: The Waiterere Pine Plantation that backs onto the Manawatu River, looking up the wide section of the Foxton River Loop, goodbye to the Think Ion.....enjoy your new life down in Christchurch and Hobsons choice now the Evo II Ultimate.

One last thing...........7 days to go to the next Welly Paddlers surf ski event, we would like to run it from Scorching Bay..... keep an eye out here for updates, final venue announced here on Friday at 9 am.

click on any photo to enlarge


No comments:

Post a Comment