Friday, October 5, 2012

Kayaking roadtrip

Currently on tour to do the Ocean Canoe Showdown in Warkworth. The event is on the Mahurangi River which is tidal, the event has 5 km 10km and 20 km options, the course is a 5 km loop course so I'll be doing 4 laps. I last did this event when I was based in Hamilton well over 20 years ago so it was time I revisited it again.

The trip is a good opportunity to assist Fergs Kayaks and take a couple of Think Kayaks surf skis on the road with me, so I've taken the Think Uno along for a joyride (though it will get wet on this trip also) and I will be paddling the Think Evo II at the race. Ian Ferguson is also joining me at this one and will be paddling a Think Uno, which belongs to son Alan. Ian normally paddles an Epic V12 so it it is a rare foray onto the Think ski for Ian, but I'm sure he will love paddling the Think Kayaks  surf ski, as much as I do.

Sharlene will get a nice surprise when I get back as I've just picked her up a Starboard SUP a 12 ft 6 inch long version which is 31 inches wide..............as with all new good things I had the opportunity to try it out first and had a great 30 minute session in Okahu Bay this afternoon ...........thanks to Fergs Kayaks for the loan of the SUP paddle..........we will be getting our own paddle as soon as my mate Corey knocks one up in Napier.

Corey has been making paddles for Canoe Sports New Zealand for the last 26 years and he's now making Kayak, Waka ama and SUP Paddles so you'll see ours shortly with our custom designed logo in the blades and ours will be tinged with a red colouring as per our specs, our adjustable SUP paddle will be here next week. Buy New Zealand made.

Photos of me on the board not the best the last one is with Devonport in the foreground..............click on photos to enlarge.


No comments:

Post a Comment