Sunday, July 22, 2012

Waitara 10km Kayak race

Well it seems like ages since I did an away race on flatwater.............. and I tend not to be one of those that says "I can't race because I haven't done the training" I just like to bowl straight into it and give myself a dose of reality.
I know the guys at Waitara do heaps of away races, going right back donkeys years and the new batch of paddlers are carrying on the Waitara Kayak Club tradition, I've seen them up at the Cambridge to Hamilton race and they travel down to Wellington, both at the drop of a hat. So when I look at races............ I go, well this bunch supports others races I need to go and do one of theirs.

The Waitara River is just an awesome stretch of water and today they held a 10km race, part of a National Series. The club is based on a tidal river which is only about 2 km from the sea and the river itself is also exposed to two big catchment areas meaning that it has a mean flow when it rains and some quick downriver flows. 

I was well off the score sheet today but I enjoyed turning the arms over and being amongst a good bunch of paddlers, who also choose to support this great event. 

Photos again courtesy of Sharlene Winiata
Click on any of the photos to enlarge.   


No comments:

Post a Comment